First time contributing to a open source project

The first open source project that I have contributed to is filer.js. The hardest part of contributing to an open source project was "Where do I start?". Our professor has gave us two options to where to start. 1. Finding a bug to fix. 2. Creating a test case for an existing function. I chose the second option because I feel that it would be harder to find bugs.

Getting Set up:

To look at existing test cases, I would have to physically look through the code so I downloaded the project on to my computer. I thought about using Visual Studio, the code editor I use for C++  and Java but filer.js is JavaScript so I decided it's time to try a different code editor(one that starts up faster on my computer). I downloaded one called "Atom" and the start-up was a lot faster comparing to VS and when I opened the project, the directories were perfectly lined up on the left side so I started searching for the test files.

Looking for test cases that I could potentially add to:

When I searched through the test files, I was thinking of "What specific test cases are similar to the existing ones but not added yet?" After an hour of looking through the test files, the really specific test cases that I wanted to add an issue was opened to the same function. To avoid any duplicate/similar issues I have decided to create a test case for a function no one has even opened a file on yet. Another hour has gone by and I have finally found a test case I would want to work on, the `fs.unwatchFile()` function.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contributing to 2048 Repo cont'd

My third Hacktoberfest 2018 Journey

Helping Mozilla firefox with enabling ESLint